Canadian Veterans Legal Advocacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing

2 posters

Go down

Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing Empty Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing

Post  Supremedebater Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:59 am

Ok so if your here your wondering how the heck can you better your chances at the review level with the Veterans Review and Appeal Board. Well here are some tips

1. Go prepared better then your lawyer, you know your case better then the BPA or Legion or whoever is representing you. Have all documents of your statement of case sticky marked with the pages you think are pertinent to your case.
2. Know the facts, read your previous "no" decision (s) and try to think of what possible questions they may ask you.
3. THIS IS A MUST Speak clear and with a firm voice and always, always, always have confidence in your answers. It is VERY important to have the answers to there questions, because if the panel is asking a question it is of great importance to your case. As well, if they are asking the question your answer is either the barrier to a pension or the allowance.
4. If you have panel members that are challenging and they're tone is negative or you feel at the beginning that the hearing is somewhat confrontational or not what you expected, you have a right to shut the hearing down. Advise your counsel you would like to speak in private advise him/her you would like to stop the hearing.
5. Do not medicate on the day of the hearing...say your back is bad,knees or whatever ails you and you pop some percocets or t-3's and your floating on air...not a good idea as you are not very alert to whats happening and prescription drugs fog the mind. YOu need to be alert for hearings regardless of pain. As well you should show the panel members the pain you experience and not mask any ailments with them.
6. Always Always Always when the commissionaire starts recording your hearing, request at the onset of the recording that you wish to have a copy of the recording. Folks I learned this early on and I've been to many hearings. If the panel members are nasty or vexatious or not affable with you its excellent to have a recording of the hearing. As well once you've made the request for a record of the hearing, the panel members will watch there P's and Q's...trust me on that!
7. when the panel asks you if you have anything to say at the end of the hearing...explain to them the amount of impact the disability you are there for has affected your life. THIS IS YOUR ONLY FACE TO FACE YOU HAVE WITH THE PANEL...Unless you choose to travel to Charlottetown and self represent and pay for the travel expenses and actually know what your doing at tribunals.
8. If you find out your representative stutters or fumbles like the lawyer on my cousin vinny, stop the hearing and request new representation.
9. Don't smile and be all cheery with the panel, it doesnt work, they don't care if your all cheery and it just simply isn't a good strategy. Go in serious and straight forward and polite.

Hope this helps
Supremedebater
Supremedebater
Admin

https://cvla.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing Empty Re: Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing

Post  Sam Fisher Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

They more or less said my doctor wasn't qualified to give my husband a medical opinion

Sam Fisher
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing Empty Re: Tips for success for a better outcome at your hearing

Post  Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Sam Fisher wrote:They more or less said my doctor wasn't qualified to give my husband a medical opinion

Sam, are you able to appeal?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum