Canadian Veterans Legal Advocacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medical Mismanagement

2 posters

Go down

Medical Mismanagement Empty Medical Mismanagement

Post  Supremedebater Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 am

Medical mismanagement has been drastically increasing in todays society as well can be established when representing Veterans with Vac as well as Vrab. Military medical doctors make many mistakes as well and it all comes down to three important words

Duty of Care, Standard of Care, Negligence.

Most Medical Injuries are Preventable

A study performed by Harvard Medical School determined that over half of all injuries caused by medical mismanagement (in other words, not caused by the patient’s initial injury or disease) were preventable, and another quarter of those incidents were caused by negligence.

Canadian Medical Association Report

A report published by the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) Journal confirmed the findings of similar studies in the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, Denmark and New Zealand.

The Canadian Medical Association study concluded that:

1. As many as 24,000 patients die each year due to “adverse events” (doctor’s code word for a bad result or a mistake).

2. 87,500 patients admitted annually to Canadian acute care hospitals experience an adverse event.

3. 1 In 13 adult patients admitted to a Canadian hospital encounter an adverse event.

4. 1 in 19 adults will potentially be given the wrong medication or wrong medication dosage.

5. 37% of adverse events are “highly” preventable.

6. 24% of preventable adverse events are related to medication error.

5 Million Medical Mistakes

A report by the Canadian Institute for Health Information concluded that nearly ¼ of Canadian adults (that’s 5.2 million people!) reported that they, or a member of their family, had experienced a “preventable adverse event”. In other words, a medical error.

So there you have it, nearly ¼ of all Canadians, or a member of their family, have experienced a preventable adverse event that may be the result of medical malpractice/Negligence..

Mistakes May Not Be Negligence

Not all mistakes are the result of negligence and just because a doctor was negligent does not necessarily mean you have a viable medical mismanagement claim.

Medical doctors in the Canadian Armed Forces make mistakes (many) and many say "oh you will never have another doctor state another doctor made a mistake" but thats not always the case nor is it required. All that needs to be proven is that there were possible alternatives or that the doctor or medical staff were incorrect.

AND REMEMBER ONE IMPORTANT FACT...When a soldier went to the MRI or sick parade...we all didn't see an M.O. Therefore you can't be treated sufficiently be a corporal medic (without prejudice). I've always went by a good philosophy..." For every action, theres a Reaction " Its not that hard to prove Medical Mismanagement when it comes to the Military and medical attendance and the system. Its not that your out to hang fellow soldiers, but the system wasn't perfect...at least when I was in.
Supremedebater
Supremedebater
Admin

https://cvla.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Medical Mismanagement Empty Re: Medical Mismanagement

Post  Sam Fisher Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Military doctors didn't take care of my husband at all, they used bandaids

Sam Fisher
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Sam Fisher wrote:Military doctors didn't take care of my husband at all, they used bandaids

Sam, I don't think you will find many arguments of opinion there from soldiers and I think some physicians would agree as well. One needs to remember that the doctors whether they are military or civilian on Bases are equally frustrated at policies and how it affects the soldiers and the physicians ability to do their jobs. I was very fortunate to have a great doctor at CFB Kingston MIR at the end of my career and she assisted me to transition into civilian doctors care. However, I can say that I also experienced less than adequate care that I would consider negligent care from NDMC doctor and while on other military bases. I sympathize that your husband went through this and I hope he is in better hands now.
And don't get me started on the dental care received in the military:)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum